Wednesday, March 14, 2018

Tuesday March 13

Today was a continuation of the dress search for Katie for the Quinceanera. We decided to go downtown McAllen to the Mall.

We started off at JCPenny and found one possibility. We continued on to Macy's, lots of dresses for lots of money, and Katie didn't really like any of them.

Last stop was Dillard's another very large Department Store. After trying on a few Katie found one she really like and a couple that were also pretty good. The one she liked the best though was $197, and Katie noticed a small snag near the top when she was trying it on.

We decided to take it, even though I told Katie I would have to starve for a week or two to pay for it. Hmmm...that would actually do me some good.

We asked the girl at the till if we could get something off because of the flaw. She said that is not Dillard's policy, that they won't sell damaged dresses. I asked them what they would do with it and she said ship it back. That didn't sound like a good choice to me, so I asked to speak to her manager.
Shortly, the manager came who looked like she was 12. Same story. I said look beside you...there is a rack of dresses that are 65% off and another with 40% off. I said we are not even looking for that, we simply don't want to pay full price for a dress that is not perfect. I asked her what she would do with the dress if we didn't take it, and she hesitated, and finally said she would pull it and send it back. I doubted that...my guess? back on the rack and hope no one notices.

So I asked to speak to her boss, she went and said she spoke to the store manager, and same story. I asked her if we could buy it...she said yes if you really want it...I said you do realize how ridiculous that is don't you? Your policy is not to sell damaged dresses, but you will sell it to us for the full price rather than give a small discount. She looked sheepish, but continued her sheep like manner to follow the policy to its Nth degree...no flexibility at all.

Now Katie started to browse the 65% off rack, found a nice dress which she liked, tried it on, and said she was happy with it and would take its. How much? $42 marked down 65%. No flaws.

So we bought it, and said to the girl at the till, how silly Dillard's was being and that they just lost a fair amount of money. She said "No, not Dillard's...me" I asked why, and she said they are required to sell one dress per hour or no commission. She also told us she had a bad year last year, due to lack of customers. Hmmm...Could it be because of their policies, and not giving their employees the ability of doing the right thing at the right time? Even if they don't want them giving discounts as they might give them to all their friends...then make it so there has to be two signatures.

So off we went, Katie happy with her new dress, and me knowing I was going to eat well.

And just to prove that Katie and I went for pizza.

We watched the Jets game at night...knowing that they were likely going to lost, due to the end of a six game road trip and a ton of injuries. Sure enough a rested Nashville team poured in on in the first period and it was 3 nothing in no time. Jets took a bunch of stupid penalties. But just when many teams would have quit...the Jets did not, and came roaring back in the 2nd and 3rd periods. They didn't win of course, but I have to give them credit for a great attempt against all odds. They also decided they were going to make Nashville at least pay, and bumped them around pretty well.

and so ends another great day in the Valley

more later...

No comments:

Post a Comment